Wednesday, January 9, 2008

WFMW: Backwards edition!




Shannon over at Rocks In My Dryer is hosting a backwards WFMW! Rather than sharing tips and ideas we get to ask questions that are plaguing our minds.

Important things like: Should I Eat Another Cookie? Does My Child Burping His/Her ABCs Qualify As Talent? and Why Does Gas Cost So Stinkin' Much? Are not things you'll likely get an answer for, but maybe, just maybe you'll find out how to organize your DVDs.

The question I have is cleaning my shower/tub.

Living in Georgia I'm prone to have red clay throughout my house. I can get it out of my carpet and clothing, but for the LOVE OF GOD and ALL THINGS HOLY I cannot get it out of my textured shower/tub!

I've tried cleaning with a scrub brush, tooth brush, cloth, Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser and a sponge, but I can't seem to get the red clay out of the grooves. I've tried using Pinesol, Bleach and Oxy! Fantastic hoping it would bubble and agitate the heck out of the clay; thus bringing it to the surface.

Someone, please, please help! It's driving me crazy.

8 comments:

Jeni said...

If this doesn't work, then there's no help for you!

Dampen all the surfaces of your tub. Sprinkle liberally with Barkeeper's Friend (found with the Comet and such in the grocery store). Let sit for five minutes. Put on your vinyl gloves, then scrub the heck out of it with a scrub brush.

I've had excellent luck with Barkeeper's friend removing rust and other apparently-set-in stains in our old OLD porcelain tub. It's my hero. :-)

Sarah said...

Either of these may work. Soft Scrub or comet powder (or any powder). I've found both of those will get things out of grooves.

Rising Rainbow said...

Not me, I haven't a clue. I think to get out stains magically one must be some kind of witch.

However, I do believe that a child burping ABC's does qualify as talent.

info@thebabymarketplace.com said...

hmmm ... no red dirt in these parts! Good luck.

MK

Kelli said...

Jeni said it first. Barkeepers Friend. it's the only thing we ever used on our textured fiberglass and it's magic :)

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

I grew up in red clay. I feel your pain. My guess would be something like Zud (sold near the Comet.) Zud works on rust, so it may work on red clay. Good old elbow grease is the only thing that works with red clay.

Janelle said...

I use scrub free shower cleaner when my husband's shower in the basement has a good case of the soap scums in the texture. Spray it on and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then I usually just use a sponge and it comes right out. It's about the only thing I've found that works on that textured surface, although I may have to try soem barkeepers friend now!

Janelle

NeedANap2 said...

look on Dollar Stretcher for the exact info but as a last resort you could try oven cleaner. I'd try the above suggestions first though! Good luck!